Sunday, January 18, 2009

Road through the Snow


Road through the Snow
Originally uploaded by linfrye
It seems as though the workweek just won't end ... but the light at the end of the tunnel is near -- thank heavens!

Returning to Greensboro to the last day of the conference was certainly a test – test of working batteries, pipes, the kind of lethargy frigid temperatures produce, and finding my own cheeriness despite cold fingers and toes! But my students and instructors were as intrepid as I, and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing our cohorts and friends and the incredible display of new plants, equipment, and supplies that promise spring.

I got home late yesterday to change and take our grandchildren out for dinner since we missed Nick's birthday party last week. We returned to their home to open gifts and play a while ... so it was a very long, tiring day, with a lot of driving.

This morning, our pipes are in better shape, and it's warmed to the low 30s ...! Yahoo! Funny how the creaks and moans of the house, freezing and thawing, adjusting to the various temperatures, make us ever grateful for the properties of the materials the comprise our dwellings -- brick, clay, stone, wood -- and the expansion and contraction abilities of these resorces. Us, too, adjusting ourselves with coats and gloves, hats and scarfs ...it makes me smile ... all this accommodating and adjusting ... and grateful as well.

Stay warm ---! The flowers are really coming --- I saw them -- and they are glorious!

7 comments:

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

You cheer me up. I know my crocus will be blooming before long.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

This is a beautiful scene Lin. You've done a wonderful job on the snow and showing how cold it is. burrrrr I feel for you. We just got over that cold spell. Keep warm and safe.

Teri said...

A gorgeous snowy scene. More fun to look at than drive through for sure.

Joan said...

Lin - I love this snowy scene!!! So serene and comforting. Glad you're back home in the warm arms of your family. Enjoy!

Carole said...

I'm sorry it's so cold where you are, but my goodness it seems to be inspiring some wonderful snow paintings! I love the way you have captured the subtle light and shadow on the snow - very sensitively done. Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

As much as I love your snow paintings, I am tired of seeing it outside my door and hearing about all the auto accidents on the news. Thank goodness I haven't needed to go out! I enjoy your snow scenes much more than the real thing!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teresa said...

I'd love to step into this painting and walk, quietly and contemplatively, down that road listening to the snow crunch underfoot and seeing winter's sparkling beauty.