Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Foggy Woodlands -- Thank you Sabine!

Half Sheet
Arches 140#CP

The first day of spring brought another week of warm weather with intermittent bouts of thunder, lightning and rain. We desperately need the rain as we are already in drought conditions and the spring blooms are thirsty for a good soaking.

These kind of weather conditions make fog and mist a certainty --and each morning I make my way through such conditions on the way to the office. Yet despite our lack of sufficient rainfall, the ponds and lakes are flowing freely and there is a most delightful sound that these waters make along with the spring peepers and frogs making their mating calls.

The woodlands are still a tumble of grasses and reeds and not all trees have donned their spring greenery. Sabine so beautifully captured those tumbled woods and water (www.flickr.com/photos/haikus59/6812801914/in/faves-linfrye/) that I was moved to pick up my brushes and paint! I added the foggy mist to the view to honor a bit of my own experience. Thank you so very much, Sabine, for allowing me to use your photo as a reference and for the inspiration!!! Please stop by Sabine's wonderful flickr stream for more wonderful work!

We've been doing our 'spring cleaning' at the Arboretum as we finish some garden installations and begin the annual battle of the weeds. We've another workshop this afternoon and we'll continue pruning our fruit trees and berries. It won't be long before we'll be gathering the first strawberries of the season!

Hope your day is wonderful!

4 comments:

maria said...

ich liebe deine arbeiten, deine arbeiten sind wirklich ein genuß und ich kann mich nicht satt sehen. hier wieder eine wunderschöne impression, die mir ausnehmend gut gefällt.
einen schönen gruß und viel spaß beim unkraut vertilgen.........
maria

Lorraine said...

These two are both lovely Lin. Love the colors and the misty effect. I am always amazed that you can do such a lovely job with the stark trees but still have delightful color. And I love your water reflections.

Your calendar page this month with the mist in the mountains is incredible -- so much beautiful detail.

I don't get up early enough to see the mist LOL but we are getting all the rain you need plus the 80 temps as well. Yesterday it was 83 here and that hadn't happened since 1891. More of the same this week. Hard to believe we have the AC on already.

Glad you let the weeks go -- they'll be there another day and spending time with the grands is much more important.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

So lovely and springy!

Joan Tavolott said...

Super job on this, Lin! I love that touch of fog and your wonderful colors.

Yesterday as I was driving to my portrait group the fog was perfect for painting...but by the time I got out of the group it was sunny. So I planned to paint fog this morning and it had already lifted! Wouldn't you know! Enjoy the day!