Friday, March 09, 2012

Nandina Berries

Nandina Berries by linfrye
Nandina Berries, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

1/4 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

I woke this morning to record temperatures – already we are in the high 60s reaching easily into the 70sF and tomorrow – perhaps 80F! CRAZY! The Bradford pears are in bloom, and behind them, the dogwood buds are so swollen that it will be a matter of days before they too join the parade of springtime that began six weeks too early. In our part of the US, the groundhog could not have been more wrong.

But it’s not just the blossoms that are gracing our landscapes these days. The remnants of fall berries are also persisting ….

My friend Jerri captured some of these berries in her awesome photo (www.flickr.com/photos/41612388@N02/6810089384/in/photostream). I just fell in love with this image, and Jerri graciously allowed me to use her photo as a painting reference. THANK YOU so much, Jerri for permission to use your incredible capture!!!

I was inspired to give these berries a loose, airy feel – a nod to the winds we’ve been having – and a bit of light for the season. It still makes me shake my head that this Sunday we begin Daylight Savings Time and spring our clocks forward an hour …
.
Again, thank you Jerri for the inspiration – stop by to see some of her truly incredible work!

Have a great Friday!

3 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

And you did a beauty of a job on them. Lovely!!!!!

Dorothy said...

Wow wow WOW Lin!!!! What a beautiful painting from a beautiful photo!!! It looks so three dimensional and just is stunning!!!

Lorraine said...

I love the delicacy and the very springlike breezy nature of this colorful painting. You amaze me from day to day how versatile you've become as well as accomplished. You ARE my favorite artist!!
Big hugs,
Lorraine