Thursday, March 02, 2006

List Mania (hats off to Pomegranates and Paper)

My friend, Loretta, has begun a "List Friday." This Friday's list topic is "Arts and Crafts." But not those crafts we do NOW! Nope, these are, in her words, to be "the silliest, funniest, most extravagant, outrageous, and simple arts & crafts."

So Loretta, since I will be sans computer on Friday, here are mine a day early:

* Embroidery and crewel on every stitch of clothing I owned, jeans, sweatshirts, blouses, jackets. FLOWER POWER to be sure!

* Gum Wrapper Chains - HUNDREDS of feet long! Whatever did we do with those??

* Stretch Looped potholders - Doesn't every female begin their lives with these??

* Crochet teen doll clothes - hats, scarves, sweaters - in the teeniest of sizes

* Leather chains - those flat, thin pieces of leather than you crossed over and over each loop to make a square thingy for key rings and such

* Tissue paper flowers -- OH YEAH!

* Whatever those 4-pronged plastic gizmos are (I still see them every once in a while, and some were fashioned from discarded wooden spools), where one "sort of knits" by wrapping yarn around the spool and pulling one loop over the other to create a round tube of sorts that comes out of the hole in the spool and which one fashions into rugs or circles or whatever. Yep -- did that a LOT!

* Paper dolls and all their paper clothing, all housed in cigar boxes.

I'm sure there are more that I can't recall at the moment ... but here you go -- flashback to the 60s!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list, Lin. I may be the only person in America who never made a gum wrapper chain!

Be sure to post a comment on my blog when you post your link so we know you're up.

80 degrees! Be still my heart. We have a big bunch of icy snow, temps in the low 20's and wind. Sigh. My daffodil leaves are freezing their buds off!

Yabco said...

great job here' lol