Friday, March 24, 2006

My Jonquils



After spending a week among Rebecca's flowers, I dashed outdoors to see just flowers were abloom on my own property. DRATS! We are still weeks behind those further south of us (even 90 miles!), and so, besides my trees, the only flowers I could find blooming were a patch of jaunty jonquils -- and here - only THREE!

Sketching this was a new experience for me. I've been sketching on 60 pound sketch paper and adding light watercolor washes. To prepare for the class I'll take online with Kate Johnson, I'm trying out Fabriano 140 pound watercolor paper. MERCY! How very different the paint behaves! I wound up adding paint, removing paint, scanning and rescanning (since my scanner turns the colors into something very weird!), and have settled on this version.

All I can say is I'm eager to learn more about watercolors--from their properties to papers to brushes! But for now, all I can say is -- THE PAPER REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

3 comments:

Eva said...

Lin, I love the excitement you generate with your art. My favorite is the red camellia you posted earlier. I’m looking forward to seeing your creations after your course. You will be an asset to the class!
http://maciearts.blogspot.com/
Eva

Teri said...

Ohhhhh Lin, these flowers are luscious!!!! You will be a start before you get to class!

Anonymous said...

Teri, Lin is a true force of nature! I hope you have the great opportunity to meet her in person one day, as I have! She has boundless energy and there's no one sweeter on the planet. Lin, isn't that Fabriano paper fabulous? Your jonquil drawing is so colorful and jaunty ;D.