Thursday, May 11, 2006

Still trying to sketch Nick





I have the most adorable photo of my grandson, Nick. It shows his huge eyes, his growing blond hair, the utter 'cuteness' of this 15 month old.

I printed the photo and took it out of town with me and tried TWICE, unsuccessfully, to capture this toddler! SIGH!

There are aspects of Nick I HAVE captured - his BIG eyes, the cut of his hair, his button nose. I seem to have missed those rose-bud lips ... but I'm determined to keep at it.

One of these days, I'll have a TOTAL sketched image of this little one ... someday ...!!!

4 comments:

Terri said...

Lin, you did a great job with this. Just watch the placement of the ear though...hold a ruler to the photo and see where the top and bottom of the ear is in relation to the eyebrows and nose. But it is very definitely recognizable. You are making HUGE progress with your portraits!! I'm so proud of you!

Tami said...

Lin, you are getting so much better! I love these!

Anonymous said...

Lin, Terri makes a great point. If you visualize plumb lines it will help with a likeness. You're doing a good job on the features, it's the head shape and placement that is throwing you off. I'm going to show you something with photoshop on the picture that you might find useful ... stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

OK, here's a link
http://www.karenwinters.com/Images/nick-lines.jpg

Diagramming a photo can help to see relationships between parts. If you do this mentally, or with a ruler as Terri says, or even in a paint program like this, it will help get placement and size of features right. The idea is that eventually we train our eyes to notice, notice, notice relationships as we're drawing. How far from this to this? What lines up with that? As you draw, think about proportions. Keep at it! You're doing fine.