Sunday, May 07, 2006

Daisies and Sage Blossoms



After a fun day out yesterday and after a much needed nap, I walked the small gardens on my property and found some flowers to sketch. These daisies occupy a patch by the shed and I've been slowing cutting back the patch of sage for tortellini with sage, butter and olive oil (YUM!). Still, the herbs are in a glory of purple blossoms.

I SO admire pencil, pen and watercolor journals and have hunted like mad for varioius 'how-to' manuals and journals. This is my attempt at that 'sketchbook style.'

Art notes: pencil, WN watercolors, and Aquacover white added to daisy petals for whiter highlights and texture.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lin; I'd say you have the technique with ink and wash well in hand and you are doing some lovely drawings, as this one shows. I love the light touch you had for colouring the vase.

Nicely done!

Felicity Grace said...

I agree with Bonny, your flowers are always lovely. I admire you for trying so many techniques - and having so much fun to boot :)!!

Linda said...

Lin, I vote with Bonny and Felicity! You are always stretching yourself to try new things and grow and always having a good time with it all! This one is just perfect -- love the choice of flowers for the arrangement, and the colors that you used.

Lisa Ridolfi said...

Lin, I think this is a great watercolor sketchbook-style piece. Love the shading on the vase, the flowers, and the story that goes along with it.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Very nice....love the flowers...cute grand too....

Clare said...

Hi Lin, beautiful work and a typical 'sketch book journal' feel to it.

Terri said...

Your colour skills are really coming along wonderfully. The difference the colour makes is amazing. It goes from a 2D sketch to looking almost 3D. Well done Lin!

Tami said...

Lin, this is wonderful. I like to hear about what you are trying to learn. Your did this perfect!

Unknown said...

beautiful and delicated!

Teri said...

Lin, they are both BEAUTIFUL AND GORGEOUS!! Love them!

I also enjoyed the grands at their art work.

Anonymous said...

This is such a lovely sketch! I like that you show the pen and ink and then the wash.

I haven't done any sketching in ages. Must get back to it.

Anonymous said...

Lin, I've got a lot to catch up on here! I'm so glad I've seen a couple of your sketches in person, because that helps me see this beautiful one the way it really is. Your lines are so elegant and expressive and that doesn't come across as much in reproduction. I love the colored one!