Sunday, May 21, 2006

Up Pops the Poppy



A year ago this week we vacationed in Sicily and had the time of our lives! I've been nostalgic to return. As I was outdoors with my grandchildren yesterday, imagine my surprise to find a lone poppy RIGHT in the center of my front garden. I hunted for more -- NONE--just this lone, tiny red/orange poppy! It immediately brought me back to Sicily and the red/orange poppies that color the hillsides!

I sketched these poppies from Kate Johnson's flower images she's shared with some of her students and which will appear on her new CD of copyfree images.

I've tried to capture the almost papery look of the petals ... I used watercolor, pencil and colored pencil ... but I just HAD to add pen. How I LOVE the looseness of the watercolor with the crispness of pen!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You captured the papery look of these delicate flowers beautifully, Lin! I love your vibrant colours, too. The look of water colour and ink is one I also like - only you do it so well. Lovely!

Alanna Beckwith said...

Lin, I too loved the poppies in Sicily! I went back in '99 when I was studying in FRance, my mom came and we went to visit a cousin in Bagheria. I remember picking a poppy and pressing it between the pages of my journal...

Sue Seibert said...

Beautiful. I wish we had poppies around here. We saw lots on our trip earlier this spring. They are such lovely flowers.

melissa said...

I second the motion. There is something so wonderful about the pen and watercolor combo. I also how you incorporate the text into the image not so separate.

Maureen said...

poppies, already! you are far, far ahead of us in growing season. I really like this illustration, too -- the words, your thoughts scribbled around in the spaces between petals. A lovely drawing of this flower. (I haven't been around much for the last month or two and have had a hard time catching up to the blogs I love. Yours is one of those. I appreciate your art and the way you think!
Maureen

Felicity Grace said...

These are gorgeous! You have a light touch with the pen that is just right here. (Cute little red wagon BTW!)

Teri said...

GEORGEOUS AND BEAUTIFUL Lin. Just beautiful and how fun that you only had one-it was just for you.

Anonymous said...

I love the story behind your magically-appearing poppy. And the sketch, all vividly colored, is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Lin, I found a single purple poppy while we were wandering around in the marsh area the other day. Bizarre! I have no idea where it came from but it was not native. Some bird must have "planted" it!

I like your crinkly petals. Very pretty.

Tami said...

These are WONDERFUL!!! I love the combo too! You did just awesome.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Great job...and the wagon is too much fun too...

Carole said...

Lin,
Your poppies are delicately done and a wonderful colour. I agree, they work well with ink and watercolour.