Sunday, August 26, 2007

Cates Farm shed


Cates Farm shed
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Yesterday, the wonderful Plein Air Group I belong to went to Cates Farm, original home of the Cates pickle.

Beautiful buildings, woodlands, fields, cows and company kept us all there despite the 100F weather. Each of us found a bit of shade from which to sketch, while the event coordinators, Nancy and Harley, saw to our every need. Again, Harley took his 4-wheeler and visited each painter (scattered among the out buildings and fields) to offer drinks, snacks, ice-cold towels. They made sure we were all as cool and well hydrated as we could be. Lunch and snacks were again provided along with great company!

(I realize after I uploaded this that the trunk is dead center .. sigh ... and I'm still not happy with my trees ... BUT all the work I've done lately on doors helped me sketch the shed fairly accurately ... why is it that so often when you concentrate on one thing, like architecture, the other things, like the flora, seem to suffer? LOL)

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

Well your tree might be dead center but that is the ONLY thing I can see that I would change and I didn't notice that until you mentioned it, probably because I love how you have made the slope of the hill on the left. And the cabin is perfecto! Remember, you can always add something to the left and connect it with something like a little fence or brush, grass, etc. Another gorgeous one. I admire you being out in that heat and still able to sketch and paint! You are a wonder!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Laureline said...

You brave soul, painting away in that hellacious heat! Your sketch is a great rendition of late (dry) summer, cara---the subtle greens, browns, golds.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I didn't notice the dead center bush until you mentioned it ... it really isnt' as objectionable as you might think. This is really a lovely painting, and one you should be proud of. I love the cabin..... your concentration seems to have paid off.

I can't believe you painted in 100 temperature !!!! ... I would have melted right into the ground. You get an A+ just for going out in that heat, then another A+ for the painting.

Felicity Grace said...

Lin, I think it's lovely - and the trunk is not 'dead' centre as far as I can see. The visual 'weight' of the cabin takes away from it so it looks quite balanced to me.

Sue Seibert said...

Lovely, Lin. The picture is just beautiful. Sounds like you had a wonderful day, too!

Sandy said...

Lin this series is beautiful, I love the light airy effect you achieve with the trees. Just lovely!