Saturday, October 06, 2007

Fall Leaves and a Happy Homecoming!

Today my son-in-law comes home from overseas for a short leave. Friends and family are gathering to welcome him home -- today -- his birthday as well.

I'll be among the many welcoming him back -- as well as enjoying my daughter and granddaughter ... my only wish is that he didn't have to leave again and face the terrors of war.

Drought here continues to be severe ... and I'm surprised that with so little rain there is any leaf color at all. I found a few maples and sweetgum trees changing colors, but the brilliant reds, oranges and yellows won't be seen in our parts this year.

Fall is melancholy for some of us -- for me as well. It reminds me, especially today, of all the changes that are part of life and how often it is difficult to accept these changes.

But today I'll rejoice in the time my son-in-law will be able to spend with his wife and daughter, home safe and loved. And I'll relish the bits of color that has blessed this browned and dry state.... as I continue to pray for rain and mostly, for peace.

5 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

Your colours are really singing! This is just glorious! I'm so glad your SIL is safe and well, I do wish this awful episode will end soon for everyone involved.

Robyn Sinclair said...

May I add my wish to yours Lin, to have your son-in-law back safe and sound for good.

These leaves are absolutely lovely, the colours are so rich and true. Nice shadows too.

Teri said...

Lin, I am so happy to hear your SIL is returning safe and sound. Happy for you and your family.

Stunning leaves is the perfect response to such happy news.

MILLY said...

The leaves are beautiful, you have really captured the autumn colours perfectly.
I hope that you all enjoy this time together.

Jana Bouc said...

I'm so glad you sil is home again and I love these leaves so loosely and freely done. May he and all his fellow soldiers be free soon!