Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Washer of Flowers


Washer of Flowers
Originally uploaded by linfrye
I cannot tell you how often I have passed this antique rusting washer on my way into town as it sits in front of a tiny, triangle-shaped antique barn housed on the corner of an aging gas station. I finally, in the middle of our rain last week, had my camera with me, a break in the rain, and a moment to stop and capture it on film.

While a pretty basic antique washer, I love how they've nicely placed seasonal flowers in the basin ....!

6 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Lin...... please tell me how you always find time for all your painting? I'm so envious that you produce so much. I know mostly I'm just lazy ... you are a great inspiration. This one brings back thoughts of my grandmothers washer. Great job.

Lorraine said...

Oh I remember these as well and you have captured it so very well -- the lines and shadows are superb. What a nice touch with the greenery.
You amaze me with your ability to create so many different kinds of paintings.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri C said...

This is just great Lin!! Isn't it fun to find these kind of subjects-the kind that stop you in your tracks!!

Lindsay said...

This cracks me up! What a symbol for what? Liberated domestication? Beauty in history? Any one of a number of things. Lovely work.

Sherry said...

Oh heavens, looking at that washer reminded me of my mother, doing our laundry down in the farmhouse cellar. She had a long wooden stick she'd use to feed the clothes into the wringer, since the water was too hot. Once I remember her getting her fingers bruised when they were trapped in the wringer. I should never complain about doing laundry, because I have it so much easier than she did.

Robyn said...

Delightful - both in concept and painting. That's how I'd like to remember my washing machine.