Thursday, December 14, 2006

EDM 97 gift


EDM 97 gift
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
I'm finding more than ever that it really isn't the gift/item itself that is meaningful -- but the thought BEHIND the gift that touch one's heart. Sometimes those gifts are small --as when my dh brings home raspberries in the middle of winter for me to enjoy on my cereal, or when my daughter calls to share a special moment or something her daughter did to make her laugh. Or, like these art supplies, when my son 'saw and recognized' me -- as I continue my quest to learn to sketch and watercolor. These 'gifts' represent too a bit of time -- going out of one's way to pick up the phone, shop an unfamiliar store, search for the 'unusual.'

These are the gifts that stand out and are remembered and cherished -- the gifts that say "I see YOU -- I see what makes you happy" - and here's something that let's you know -- I SEE YOU."

To me, these acts of love, whether presented as a phone call, a pencil or a special treat, are what gift-ing is all about. They're wrapped in recognition, time, and sharing ....and last a lifetime.

17 comments:

Teri said...

So BEAUTIFULLY said Lin! And so true.

Nan said...

What you've said is very touching, and a wonderful thing to remember this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Lin, so many people forget in the frenzy of the holidays the very things you wrote about - it brought a tear to my eye.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Lin...and you deserve those moments, those gifts. No wonder you sound happy, despite all your pressures...

Tami said...

Thsi is so beautifully put Lin! You are absolutely right! Love the little sketch too! Hope you are having a warm and happy holiday season!

Anonymous said...

Well said, Lin - and nicely illustrated as well.

Anonymous said...

You have made explicit a really wonderful thought. You are right - it is little gifts 'wrapped in recognition' that speak to you...
jules

Anonymous said...

You are so right, cara. But you, with your complete lack of pretension and dishonesty, you are easy to see and love. Happy Christmas!

Anonymous said...

beautiful drawings!!

Lorraine said...

Well dear friend your sketch is very good but oh your writing about it -- now just why aren't you getting these published more widely????? Absolutely true and so well said! Just perfect.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the words as much as the delightful picture. Those are the gifts to treasure, for sure. It sounds like you have such wonderful kids (no surprise!)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely agree! How lovely of your DH to bring you raspberries for your cereal - that's real love!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

I have to agree..sometimes I think its the ambience of the season too...the trees, decorations, the carols...and giving to others....

Anonymous said...

A good reminder as the holidays get ever crazier, and so very true!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree Lin, I sometimes wonder if my children 'see' me at all, I would be so happy with a fat quater of material, a new pencil or brush something they all know I do but dont seem to be able to see enough to give me. Love your paintings as usual.
When I give them things I have made, I am not sure they appreciate the thought that has gone into making that particular thing for that person. Perhaps I should give up!!

Anonymous said...

Terrific post. Love both your image and your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

a beautiful post Lin!
Marry Christmas to you and your family!