Friday, December 21, 2007

Roses and Pomegranates


Roses and Pomegranates
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Thank you all for your well wishes for my granddaughter and mom's luggage. Late yesterday afternoon Southwest Airlines delivered her bag -- everything intact -- and mom was thrilled!

My dd also tells me that Taylor had her medications changed yesterday, is breathing so much easier, and is doing better with less fever... and so they're still intending their 5 1/2 hour trek north for a visit here this weekend.

My days are growing even busier and we have my son's children to watch as he and my dil begin their marathon holiday shopping -- so sketch and painting time are going to be crimped. But I have so enjoyed having hours at my disposal to study, ponder and paint ...

This still life, painted from a photo from Wet Canvas, presented a number of challenges ... I changed the color of the grapes from a repeat of the red/burgandy in the fruit and flowers to green only to realize that those same greens were also repeated in the leaves ...! LOL Dark values presented a challenge in trying to make them less flat ... and the sheer curtain was a challenge as I didn't want to draw too much attention to it and so faded as many details as I could.

I enjoyed doing this scene and will probably, as time permits, try another subject with similiar complexities.

Meantime, I'll be hunting for quick subjects to study as the holiday and company approach.

We're expecting a sprinkling of rain --- sure wish it could be snow! LOL

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Such a lovely, soft composition. The shading on the roses is beautiful -- the window, the vase, and the "looseness" of the fruit. I think you would do very well with oil impressionistic painting now that you have mastered wet into wet and this soft style. Love your title too.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Gorgeous gorgeous!!

Merry Christmas Lin, to you and all your loved ones.

Laura Frankstone said...

Yikes, I wish you could post larger images on your blog! I know you can see them larger on flickr, but still.....;D. This is one of the best things you've done, imho! You are just getting better and better---all your hard work is certainly paying off! Your sense of color and your paint handling are excellent, cara!