Friday, July 04, 2008

HAPPY JULY 4!


HAPPY JULY 4!
Originally uploaded by linfrye
I painted this a while ago, but didn't have a chance to post .... It reminds me of the red, white and blue of today's celebration ....

It's Independence Day for the US .. the day we celebrate our independence ... yet yesterday I was reading the newsletter from one of our local Farmer's Markets and the focus wasn't on 'independence' as much as it was on 'INTER-Dependence' -- which I think rings more true to me.

While I believe in self-sufficiency, especially in these days of high prices and so many of our trusted establishments being exposed for fradulent behavior, I don't know of anyone, or any group, or any establishment, that doesn't depend on 'others' in some way or another.

We depend on family members and friends for encouragement, support and love, our employers for an income, farmers for our food, construction workers for our homes, doctors for our healthcare, etc., etc. As the world grows ever smaller, we become even more 'dependent' on others for economic and political stablity.

Here in the art community, we depend on our friends for friendship and encouragement -- and I can't but help but think that is a GOOD thing ... it keeps us working together, especially toward common goals.

So today, Independence Day, I'd like to take a moment to thank YOU for the INTER-Dependence of your friendship, encouragement, support and kindness ..... and CELEBRATE our working together! Not to take anything away from our country's celebration, but more to bring the concept a bit closer to home.

HAPPY JULY 4TH!!

7 comments:

Teresa said...

And Happy July 4th to you too!

Yesterday's painting (Blue-eyed grass) looked very much like a patch of bluebells in an English wood. Loved it.... reminded me of my childhood days.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Happy 4th Lin!!!

I've been busy and haven't had much chance to stop by ... but today I see so much work, and all so well executed. Your cheerfulness comes thru in your work.

caseytoussaint said...

You are one of the best internet/art friends anyone could have. And thank you for sharing your beautiful work with us, too.

Laura Frankstone said...

Cara, I so agree with Casey--you are the epitome of all that you are grateful for. And what a beautiful painting, too.

Teri said...

Lin, you wrote such beautiful words here. They are you and your beautiful painting just shines with friendship. Thank YOU for being a wonderful friend.

Happy 4th. I hope it was full of family and fun.

Joan said...

Lin, It's such a pleasure to be connected to you and so many other artists. It is nice that we depend on, support, teach, and share with each other so easily. Your painting is lovely...not quite the red, white, and blue of the flag, but I like it a lot. Hope you had a happy 4th of July.

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Dear Lin, it's all my pleasure being able to be in touch with you. Thank YOU!

Nice wash in the background in your post.