Monday, December 15, 2008

Persimmons


Persimmons
Originally uploaded by linfrye
It was a wonderful 'jam' yesterday --C cooked a deer stew and folks came as much to eat as to play! Fellowship, time to chat, music, song filled our home, and the seasonal festivities seemed graced us all.

Adding to th 'food fest' this weekend, Charles brought home one of my favorite fruits - persimmons. My family has enjoyed these sweet orbs during Thanksgiving and Christmas and I remember the teasing we'd give my mom by 'hiding' these beloved fruits from her. Apparently, they weren't selling as quickly as they might have, so there was a fabulous sale on them, and if I'm not too piggish, there may be a couple left for my mom when she arrives on Thursday! Mercy, they are delicious -- and I'm so glad we planted a persimmon tree in the kitchen garden at the Arboretum!!!

As I looked over the series of paintings I've done lately, there seems to be a dominance of 'orange.' Hmmm.... so I've looked up its symbolism wondering if I"m trying to tell myself something ... From Wiki:

"Orange is a color that represents Autumn . In western culture this color is often associated with Thanksgiving and Halloween.

Perhaps a more common representation, orange is a symbol for energy and fire. Orange also represents spiritual energy and healing, it is an empowering color to wear.

Orange is considered to be a "happy color," raising the spirits and invigorating the observer.

The second chakra, which is orange, is located near the womb and is therefore associated with creativity. " Elsewhere: As a warm color orange is a stimulant — stimulating the emotions and even the appetite. Orange can be found in nature in the changing leaves of fall, the setting sun, and the skin and meat of citrus fruit.
Culture of Orange:
Orange brings up images of autumn leaves, pumpkins, and (in combination with Black) Halloween. It represents the changing seasons so in that sense it is a color on the edge, the color of change between the heat of summer and the cool of winter.
Because orange is also a citrus color, it can conjure up thoughts of vitamin C and good health. (http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/colorselection/p/orange.htm) ...

So, giving myself energy, a good dose of Vitamin C and change .... hmmmm. What colors have YOU been painting??

7 comments:

squawmama said...

I love persimmons too... and the painting is so nice... Sounds like you had a great weekend... I survived babysitting the twins but will take a couple of days recovering...LOL LOL Have a great day

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Joan said...

I have to admit I've never tasted a persimmon. I'll have to put that on my list of things to try. This painting is so peaceful. Maybe orange is an energy color, but I think it is relaxing. Sounds like you had a fun weekend.

Anonymous said...

I don't care for persimmons but I love your painting. I think it's one of those things that you had to have as a child to really appreciate it! Like really hard MacIntosh apples in the fall in Vermont -- juice running down your chin and almost tart enough to make your cheeks pull in!! I love the bowl too -- and I really enjoyed your essay on orange -- always one of my favorite colors, but then I love Autumn and all it's splendor. Sadly, I haven't been painting any colors lately but if I had, they would definitely have to be bright to chase away this dreary rainy cold weather.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Linda said...

Wonderful persimmons!

StilinStudio said...

Hi Lin - thought I'd drop by your blog instead of Flickr today. I love your painting. Can't say I've never tried a persimmon, and have no idea how one is eaten or prepared, but if the opportunity comes - I'll try one!. In reading your info about the color orange - I'm thinking I just might start using more of it! Thanks!

Teresa said...

Absolutely YUMMY looking!!! Gorgeous colors.

Spinneretta said...

Lovely- we use them to make persimmon pudding here :) Although my DH prefers to use the natives ;)
I love that persimmon orange...