Saturday, December 20, 2008

Red Poinsettia


Red Poinsettia
Originally uploaded by linfrye

Daily Practice
Watercolor and Ink

Busy times -- but so fun! Yesterday I emptied the closet where we stashed all the gifts accumulated for the holidays ... it took several trips up and down the stairs (and yes, I'm counting that as exercise!! LOL) to bring them to the living room for wrapping. Mom and I watched movies while we cut, taped, labeled and placed them in groups for each grandchild. Though not as gift-mountainous as last year, there's a significant amount of 'economic stimulus" we added to!

I sketched this poinsettia from the depths of the sofa -- there's something very 'challenging' about having inadequate light and the firmlessness of a lab that makes wonkiness a sureity! Still, climbing stairs is pretty difficult for mom and with my artspace upstairs and mom downstairs, my art table time will be limited for a while.

As I'm typing, I glance out the window to see the sky a deep purple/pink that has me jaw-dropped! There's still fog wisping around the trees .. .mercy, what an incredible sunrise!

Today, it's cooking and a bit of shopping. C is home for two weeks as his business has closed for the holidays as well. Mike came by yesterday for a quick visit, and we talked to my daughter ... oh how I relish these family times!

I keep trying to capture some photos of the kittens-cats -- but mercy, I can't get them to stay still long enough!!

I haven't seen the news yet, so I'm hoping the storms predicted for the northwest and northeast didn't pack as bad a blow as first thought.

Time to get things on the stove! Enjoy the day!

5 comments:

Joan said...

Lovely job on the poinsettia in ink and watercolor. I'll have to try one that way. I'm glad to hear you are having such a good time with your mom, and getting in exercise at the same time.

We had a lot less snow than predicted, but it was icy. I got home yesterday about 11am just as the first flakes were falling and enjoyed watching the storm while I baked cookies and did sketches for my scavenger hunt on WetCanvas. Flurries are still falling this morning, but I think the worst is over. Take care!!

Teri said...

Good to hear you are having fun with family. Such a lovely poinsettia and perfect for the season!

Anonymous said...

Perfectly lovely -- you are one who can make art any time, any place, under any conditions with any medium!!

Love hearing your stories of home and family.

Just finished a day of voluteer work at PetSmart: Pets pictures with Santa -- what a riot. Only one cat -- but I met a lot of beautiful dogs.

Capture those cats on film, they grow so fast!

Patti G. said...

Lin,
JUST beautiful poinsettias! You are such a talent!
Sending Holiday hugs my friend!
Patti

squawmama said...

Hi Lin... Sounds like you & Mom are really staying bust and having a great visit... The poinsettias are beautiful... perfect picture for this time of year... Try to stay warm and enjoy this holiday happenings...

(((HUGS)))
Donna