Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Field of Pink Poppies

A Field of Pink Poppies  by linfrye
A Field of Pink Poppies , a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

My sisters tell me they had 10" of rain the day I was to arrive - and the party went off well despite the soaking conditions. I tried to cheer myself with some thoughts of sunshine and flowers -
I have a date with the weeds today - the recent bits of rain have given them a strangle hold on the flowers, so today the battle will be fought. It's also time to collect the prodigious amount of seeds produced by my coneflowers, blanket flowers and more and spread them around the property.

We've been collecting the seedheads of Queen Anne's lace for dispersal during some of our walks, and I've ordered a number of packages of poppy seeds to scatter along with the others. This ''Johnny Apple Seed" approach to my front garden is most enjoyable ---! LOL Yesterday I came across dozens of fruits on the Passion Flower vine that also surprised me this year. Once those fruits ripen, I'll make some jam from them. They're very tart and lemony - and are quite like pomagranate seeds. And I found several new zinnias just opening ...One thing about this seed-sowing business, it's always a surprise what grows -- as well as what doesn't ...

Hope your day is wonderful! Our temps have cooled to the mid 80s! Feels like fall!

4 comments:

Teri said...

Just gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy said...

So gorgeous Lin, you are officially a PRO!

Lorraine said...

Oh what a soft, lovely, happy painting. It lifts my spirits and makes me not mind the hot summer quite so much!

Yes, I can see you as Ms. Johnny Appleseed spreading the wealth on your wonderful homestead. I love hearing about all your discoveries especially the unusual ones.

Big hugs,
Lorraine

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Oh, Lin, not only are paintings beautiful, but just love the tips. So okay, if I collect seeds from Queen Ann's lace, they will grow next season? When I visit your blog, it's the down home country feeling that you have the ability to instill, just lovely.

All the best to you,
Joan