Thursday, January 03, 2013

The Light in the Snowfall

The Light in the Snowfall by linfrye
The Light in the Snowfall, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

10" x 13" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

It's been grey and raining and cold for the start of a new year. Yesterday afternoon the color of the sky, the crisp feel to the air, CERTAINLY felt like snow ... but no, just a bit more rain.

I do miss that white stuff this time of year, and am constantly inspired by those images of snow I see on flickr. I fell in love with this particular view by my friend Linda, who so kindly gave me permission to use her photo as this painting's inspiration:
www.flickr.com/photos/stilinstyle/8286993451/in/faves-lin...

Please stop by Linda's photostream for more beauties!!!

I painted this scene twice, and with this version I used a more impressionistic approach to focus on the snow and light of the lampost. Thanks once more Linda!

The year began busy and will continue that way for several weeks as I begin teaching new watercolor classe, and meet the deadlines to exhibit my work in new venues. More framing needs to be done, and always, there are more household chores to do than I can even list! LOL

Still, winter to me, especially when it rains or snows, reminds me that this is a season of rest and recuperation, a time of 'gathering in', contemplation, refueling. I think of those hibernating bears as they spend the winter in slumber to prepare for the true busy seasons of spring and summer. And so I too, despite constant demands, will take the time to 'winter' myself ... as the seasonal clock moves ever insistently forward ....

Happy 2013! May it be a restorative time for you too!

2 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

This has such a nice frosty feel to it!!!

Sounds like you have some busy times ahead. I always find matting and framing exhausting. lol

Enjoy the day!

Lorraine said...

Lovely painting Lin. I love the impressionistic feel of it. A light amidst the snow. How often I have seen that in VT and even here in KY. Our snow is about gone but the temps go down to about 20 every night and then there are slick spots. Me no like!!!

I loved all you wrote about winter. I was just thinking yesterday when it was gray and dreary that I'd love to hibernate too. But today the sun is out and I am inspired to be more artistic. And I do think staying inside in the winter gives us a chance to get things done that we don't want to do when we can get out and enjoy the good weather!

Have been doing some fabric work but both my sewing machines are acting up so it was frustrating. So today I'll try a bit of painting. You inspired me!
Big hugs and thanks for a lovely winter painting.
Hugs,
Lorraine