Tuesday, September 05, 2006

EDM 83 Body of Water


EDM body of water
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
How I LOVE days of quietude and restfulness! I took an extra day from work and though I awoke the same time as I normally do, the freedom from chores and 'musts' are behind me, leaving me a leisure of time that I rarely have.

I decided to spend a bit more time on sketching and painting this morning and I worked on this between ironing and packing and other non-urgent things.

With the rain outdoors and the cooler temps, I worked from a photo reference using pencil, W&N watercolors in my Raffine sketchbook.

I still need more practice with water, but I really like the way this turned out.

OH, to have more leisure time!

14 comments:

Teri said...

OH. MY. GOSH.!!!!! Lin, this is fabulous!! You have created distance and shadows and it's just wonderful!!!

Donn said...

Looking GREAT Lin. Like the way you have painted the bushes. Your water is coming along just fine!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a day off! You certainly put it to good use with this lovely sketch!

Linda T said...

This is really nice. I love the trees!

Terri said...

The depth of field is wonderful Lin!! :o)

Jana Bouc said...

Exquisite. You are really a master at water. I love the deeper more purple values where the bridge reflects in the water--that's my favorite part. The foliage is also really nice, soft and lush and green.

Alison said...

yes, great sense of depth and lovely feel

Penny said...

This has a lovely look to it, love the little bridge. Thanks for commenting on my site.

Kate said...

Time well-spent, I'd say!

Anonymous said...

This one is really really beautiful Lin.
It has a great sense of proportion and
makes me feel peaceful just looking at it.
I love following the beginning of the
painting on down to the stone bridge --
almost feel like I'm there!
Lorraine

Tami said...

Love the softness of this, it is beautiful! The bridge just adds such a nice element. I hear your plea for more quiet time!

Linda said...

Lin -- this is absolutely beautiful! I love the way the water is medium toned, then darker with the reflection, and then white from the light beyond the bridge -- PERFECT depth!

Karen Sandstrom said...

Excellent job with depth and color, Lin.

Felicity Grace said...

The water looks amazing, so beautifully done!