Thursday, September 28, 2006

Fall Roadside


fall roadside
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
A sure sign of fall for me are ornamental grasses and goldenrod. Along the area between the Arboretum and the college, the roadside is brightened by yellow goldenrod and sneezeweed and lots of tawny-colored grasses. I sketched this while sitting in my car and glancing out the side window. The purple shrubs to the right are a type of hydrangea planted by my students and just a brilliant, stand-out color this time of year. Apparently, the cooler evenings are bringing out their vivid colors while the tree leaves are beginning to change.

6 comments:

Teri said...

Oh my gosh Lin, it is GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Terri said...

Oh this is lush and wonderful Lin!

Tami said...

This is simply smashing, Linny!!! I love the colors in it, excellent job!

Brenda Yarborough said...

This one and the previous 3 would make an excellent series for notecards!
Wonderful composition, color and you seem to be establishing a loose style combined with some detail! I'm starting to see your work and saying, "that's a Lin."

Kathleen Pequignot said...

Such wonderful, rich color here! Bravo!

Lorraine said...

Oh what a lovely painting; love the mixture of greens and colors. As usual, a great job.
The goldenrod is out here too and we must
have lots of "sneezeweed" cause that's what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks. What is that anyway -- is there another name for it? You are always amazing me with your botanical knowledge.
Hugs,
Lorraine