Friday, September 08, 2006

Sweetgrass Basket


sweetgrass basket
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
Back when I lived in Charleston, South Carolina, these sweetgrass baskets were inexpensive -- NO LONGER! Now, they're a collector's item! Sweetgrass basket makers were located every few miles along the Mt. Pleasant bypass. While the basket makers are still there, I think there are fewer of them, as the availability of sweetgrass becomes more scarce.

I've had this 'container' basket for years and love it! I thought I'd sketch it propped against my home office window as another, different, type of container.

9 comments:

Marilyn said...

You did such a great job on the various "coils" of grass - the colors and the darker shades. I enjoyed the "history" as well.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Hey did you swipe my sweet grass basket??? NOPE its still on the coffee table...great job...you arent letting any grass grow under your feet...three container drawings!!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Forgot to add there is a sweet grass basket festival every May or June in Mt. Pleasant...a whole weekend of festivities....

Teri said...

Wow Lin, this is beautiful! I can really appreciate it because I also made baskets and learned to make this kind also. Your shading and coils are perfect!!

Anonymous said...

Just a lovely sketch, Lin. These baskets and Charleston were an important part of my life years ago. You've brought back many memories.

Terri said...

The texture is wonderful in this. You really captured it very well. Such a lovely piece for your home too. :o)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Lin! I really like the coils and detail you did on this painting. Looks like a nice piece to have around the house, too.

Rayna said...

Ah - Charleston. Why didn't I buy one of these when I was there 10 years ago? Probably because we were overloaded with luggage. Your sketch brings back all the joy of being there, though. See you soon, I hope.

Jana Bouc said...

I like this little still life with the window in the background. I love the stuff you're doing with this container topic. I never would have thought of baskets. Why is the sweetgrass disappearing (along with basket weavers)?