Thursday, December 02, 2010

Roses - Raulston Arboretum


Roses - Raulston Arboretum
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal Size

This painting was done a few weeks ago. It's based on one of the roses that was climbing over a wonderfully crafted trellis at the JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. I loved the graceful arc and the delicate pink of the blossoms. By now, the cold has browned all remaining flowers ...but memory and photos really bring back the season and joy of that moment.

It's a slow start this morning as our workshop last night ended after 9:30 pm and by the time I reached my friend's, settled down and finally turned off the light, it was after 11 PM ... and we begin again early today with Plant a Row greenhouse projects, harvesting, and finishing up some soaps from last night. We have another workshop tonight that will end as late as last night -- so my perkiness is waiting for additional caffeine before kicking in! LOL

The air was so cold and clear this morning - and I drove in with the crescent moon and Venus brightening the dark of the sky. What a beautiful morning!

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh what a nice surprise to have on this wintry day. The rose is gorgeous with it's shades and curls and oh those buds -- perfect. And the detailed leaves are a perfect compliment to the rose and buds. Just beautiful Lin.

Whew; you will be exhausted by Friday. Be careful driving home and good luck with all your tasks today.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Love this!!! It brings a warm feel to a cold day. Your colors in the petals and leaves are super.

I don't know where you get your energy from. I'm exhausted just reading about what you do in one day.

We have cold temps but sunshine, so I think I'm heading over to the Bellport dock to finish a plein air I started last week. I may have to sit in the car. lol

Enjoy your day!

ChrisWMcgrady said...

Hello Lin,

So glad I located your blogspot!
Lovely roses to bring colors to my white landscape... Gorgeous as usual.

And I agree with Joan: where do you find the time to do all what you are doing and still paint as your daily practice? Bravo!

I am starting to realize that I don't need to set a full day aside to paint, but I still postpone too often facing the virgin page of the sketchbook. Maree's big three P's - practice, practice, practice! My resolution for 2011.