Saturday, September 30, 2006

OVER THE TOP!

There are birthdays that are happy; there are birthdays that are fine; there are birthdays that are memorable, and then there are birthdays that are so joy-filled that they are OVER THE TOP! This birthday has been TO THE STARS! And I must admit that my heart just can't hold any more joy and it's been running out of my eyes most of the evening ~~!

It started out ordinarily enough - enjoyed my morning coffee, caught up with blogs and lists, and then had to take my car for an oil change and a much needed bath -- thought I'd give my vehicle a bit of birthday attention, too. But a funny thing happened on the way to the car wash ....

First off, Charles joined me for the 30 minute ride and a dealership wait -- a nice surprise, since I thought I'd simply take my sketchpad and get my daily challenge in ... so I was really glad for the company. But when we got to the dealership, they were so booked up that if I wanted to wait for the service, I'd have a 4 hour wait -- so we made an appointment for next week and decided to head home. Just as we were turning to leave, Charles asked what they thought of the Toyota Prius since I thought I'd eventually own one of these hybrids -- great gas mileage -- and great for the environment. Well, one sentence led to a paragraph, which led to a page, which led to a salesman, which led to ....

A NEW CAR!! Totally out of any consideration, since I thought I needed another year before I would even CONSIDER a new car....

Well, they made us a great deal (didn't do the "I'll take to the manager game which I detest!!), gave us a tax rebate that may just take us back to Sicily next year (or an addition to the retirement account), and so my car wash turned my blue car into a new gold Prius! HOLY MOLY!!!

My knees and elbows went to jelly as the entire episode just exploded any ordinariness of the day ... and the UNEXPECTEDNESS of it -- just kept me a bit flabbergasted.

So picture this: I'm a bit weak-kneed from not eating lunch, (why does it take HOURS to sign all those papers!!), I'm a bit shaky from the realization of the commitment I had just made, a bit corn-fused as I tried to figure out where everything is in a new car (like a button you PUSH to start the thing!!), and I'm anxious to get home since my son and his family are due for my birthday visit and then dinner.

So I make my way home, glad to be almost home where I can relax, reorganize the bags of stuff I've emptied from my car (I mean, I had all my TRAVEL BAGS ready for work next week -- so this decision was REALLY REALLY UNEXPECTED and I had a LOAD to TRANSFER from one car to another) .... and I pull into my driveway -- and there's this SUV in front of the garage. And I'm thinking, did Mike buy a new car too? He was talking about a new car ....

And I look -- and take another look -- and another look -- and my daughter, her husband, and my new granddaughter are all lined up next to Mike, Joye, Nick and Emily ... and I am so STUNNED and so ELATED, and so SHOCKED, that all I can do is stumble out of the car -- and SOB!

By this time, the knees and elbows give out and I had to sit down and catch my breath, lower my pulse, and have a glass of water and a box of tissues. I was so overwhelmed and my heart was just in pieces with joy and gratitude that I simply succombed to the thrill of it all.

We talk, catch up, I play with the grands, hugs my children like mad, and we eventually have a most grandglorious dinner (Charles paid for all of us as HIS gift!! MERCY-- that was SOME GIFT!!) -- all of the grands were so well behaved that even the patrons commended their parents (and I am so proud of all of them!)!

I have to admit, my sketchfor today is only partially done (I did manage a bit of a sketch -- and aded a tad of color to it) -- but my emotions have been on such a ride today, that I can barely keep my eyes open.

I just HAD to share this day with you ... the company, the surprises, the sheer and magical JOY of it. It has been so overwhelming and my heart so full ... that to say I am grateful seems not to even come close to how I am feeling ....

THANK YOU for being part of this awesome, awesome day, for your cards, great good wishes, .... and for allowing me to share a bit of its incredible, unexpected magic ... may its overflowing touch YOU in ways that bring you as much joy and wonder as has graced my life today.

Mercy....

12 comments:

Terri said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIN!!! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Big Birthday Hugs my dear friend!! xoxo

Brenda Yarborough said...

Your words made my eyes leak! Not the car part (although that is AWESOME) but the part about your dd and family surprising you!! Was Charles in on the surprise?
How in the world are you going to settle down enough to sleep tonight and more importantly, go to work on Monday?!!

Linda T said...

What a wonderful birthday story and what a wonderful family you have!! Happy Birthday!!

Patti G. said...

Lin,
Your birthday celebrations and surprises were just wwwwonderful and all a part of you being so very deserving too!!! I am happy for you and know that you sound so content! That is awesome! Hugs,
Patti

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate your Birthday - with loving family around you and a day full of surprises.
You deserve all of it and may you have a year full of joy and happiness. It certainly started off that way!

Hugs,
Bonny

Jana Bouc said...

What an amazing day. Your family's generosity and loving is a testment to your own. I've realized, reading your past two days posts, how much our correspondence means to me, how much I look forward to it, and how sad I'd be to lose it. Thank you for sharing your joy and letting it shine into my life too.

Tami said...

Okay, Linny, pass the tissue, please! I am so glad for you, especially the suprise of your family!

Penny said...

HDappy Birthday Lin, what a wonderful day and what a wonderful surprise. So you are a Libra too? Mine is on Wednesday, not actually lookng foreward to it as I wont be home, but we had a lovely lunch yesterday. Not a BIG birthday but big enough.

Felicity Grace said...

Fabulous post (wish I hadn't just put on my mascara ;)!!) Your family sounds as amazing as you! Big hugs!!

Teri said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend!!! What an awesome day!!! WOWEE. couldn't happen to a nicer person. I am so happy for you.

Kate said...

Happy Belated birthday. Normally as I check blogs, I don't read lengthy entries, but I'm glad that I read yours. Wonderful day for you!! And, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Belated HAPPY birthday, dear Lin! It sounds as if you had the most special day ever---and all of it so well deserved!
Hugs and kisses from gray but lovely Paris.
Laura